One of the most annoying things we have to deal with when going out to surf is when you can’t get a parking spot. You think about walking with your surfboard tucked under your arm, but that might tire you even before you hit the beach.
The best solution is to ride a motorcycle or a scooter and fit your board rack to it. Then, you can forget about the hassle of parking the car as you carry your board down to your surf spot. This article will discuss the best motorcycle surfboard racks, in addition to:
- What motorcycle surfboard racks are
- What makes a good motorcycle surfboard rack
- How to install motorcycle surfboard rack
- Motorcycle surfboard racks buying factors
What Are Motorcycle Surfboard Racks?
Necessity is the mother of all inventions, as they say. The circumstance we mentioned above is just one of the many reasons surfers want to ride their motorcycle with their surfboards. A rack is needed to hold it for you while you navigate with the motorbike. Hence, the motorcycle surfboard rack.
Motorcycle surfboard racks hold your surfboard as you ride. Having it on your motorbike keeps you not only from parking hassles but from traffic jams, too. Having a motorcycle and a motorcycle surfboard rack is incredibly convenient, especially if you live locally.
Top 5 Best Motorcycle Surfboard Racks
We often want to get to the waves fast enough, but sometimes the traffic can just be so bad. To make it worse, finding a good parking spot by the beach can snag you of the extra time you should be spending out on the waves.
Your best solution is to transport your surfboard with your motorcycle. The motorcycle won’t stall you and your surfboard in bad traffic and will let even the narrowest space on the parking lot be your perfect parking space. How’s that for getting extra time to ride?
- Ho Stevie! Scooter/Moped Surfboard Rack – Best Overall
- Onefeng Sports Surfboard Scooter Moped Bike Rack– Best for Scooters
- Moved by Bikes Moped Rack– Best for Mopeds
- Carver CSR Scooter Surf Rack– Best for Fast Riders
- Island Motorcycles Surfboard Racks– Best Customized Surfboard Rack
1. Ho Stevie! Scooter/Moped Surfboard Rack – Best Overall
- Side-mounted bike rack
- “Anodized,” lightweight, and durable
- Single point installations
Steve Mara, the genius behind Ho Stevie! is a surfer himself, and every time he sees something a fellow surfer goes through, he thinks of a way to make it better. One of the surf gears he conceptualized is Ho Stevie! Scooter/Moped Surfboard Rack!
This surfboard rack will make your life easier if you are riding a moped, scooter, or motorcycle. It comes with a mount that can be easily positioned on the rear cargo rack. Many bikers claimed that riding with their surfboard in it for over 40 mph left them amazed.
On the outside, it looks thin and feels lightweight. But, these should not deceive you. Ho Stevie! Scooter/Moped Surfboard Rack is anodized aluminum. Therefore it is durable, and you won’t have to worry about your surfboard when you transport it with your motorcycle at any speed.
Ho Stevie! Scooter/Moped Surfboard Rack is rated for surfboards up to 8 ft, although some reviews suggested that it can work well with longer boards, too. Be sure to add bungee cords and pads to make sure nothing is digging into the rails.
- Easy to install
- Works for scooters, moped, motorcycles, and big bikes
- Well-built and durable
- Fits good and carries the surfboard safely
- Fits under-seat storage with passenger helmet when not in use
- Some packages reported to have no washers
- Screws may vibrate loose
- Connector plates add some weight
2. Onefeng Sports Surfboard Scooter Moped Bike Rack– Best for Scooters
- Mounts to mopeds and scooters
- Fits Small and Larger Boards
- Up to 45 lbs carrying capacity
Safely transport your surfboard with your scooter with Onefeng Sports Surfboard Scooter Moped Bike Rack. This convenient rack works with most scooters and mopeds by mounting it to the rear cargo rack. Each box comes with hardware installation instructions, so it won’t take you more than 10 minutes to install.
Onefeng Sports Surfboard Scooter Moped Bike Rack is made with “anodized” aluminum frames, so you are guaranteed they are sturdy. In addition, since the mounts and arms are “anodized,” the paint job won’t chip off easily.
The engineers at Onefeng Sports made sure the surfboard is kept on the rack free from dings and scratches. This feature is evident on the covered arms. These padded arms can be adjusted to suit the board and to conform to your convenience, too.
While some find the color choices to be limiting, Onefeng Sports Surfboard Scooter Moped Bike Rack black color can pretty much blend with almost any scooter shade. Isn’t it that black goes well with just about any color?
- Comes with bungee cords
- Lightweight but durable
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Arms are foam covered
- Arms can rotate when not in use
- Bottom mounting plate does not have a slit to hold down screws properly
- Not suitable for longer surfboards
- Some reported screws not fitting in the grooves
3. Moved by Bikes Moped Rack– Best for Mopeds
- Aluminum construction
- Quick-release bar system
- Best for 7 to 8 ft surfboards
You are lucky if your surf spot is just a bike ride from where you are. And, if you have Moved By Bikes Moped Rack, then you have what makes zipping on a moped and surfing a perfect combination.
These motorcycle surfboard racks are perfect for transporting your surfboard to the beach with your moped. The manufacturers adapted their patent-pending technology – quick release bars that pop the bars in when you need the racks and pop them out quickly with a push of a button when not needed.
The quick-release bars are mounted to tubular cargo racks that are typically used on most mopeds. They are mounted separately on the bike, so you can extend them if you need to carry longer surfboards or even SUPs.
MBB thought carefully about the coastal environment and how it can affect the rack’s durability, so they used only the highest quality aluminum and stainless construction. In addition, tests have been made to ensure typical mounting conditions can endure up to 35 mph speeds.
- Stable mounting for longboard and shortboard
- Padded arms
- Quick-release for easy disassembly
- Durable and lightweight
- Comes with printed instruction materials
- Clamps aren’t sheathed in rubber to protect the paint
- Tubular racks have fixed length that is not universal or adjustable
- Complicated to install
4. Carver CSR Scooter Surf Rack– Best for Fast Riders
- Attaches to existing rear cargo racks
- Fits longboards
- TIG-welded 6061 Aluminum construction
One of the uprising names in the surfboard rack industry, Carver Racks, made it to this list with their Scooter Surf Rack. Carver CSR Scooter Surf Rack is one of the racks they have on the market that caters to surfboard riders who are also motorcycle riders.
This motorcycle surfboard rack can mount onto the seat post or to an existing rear cargo rack. It allows you to transport surfboards up to 8 ft. The solid construction doesn’t only guarantee it will last a long time, but it also makes sure it is sturdy enough to hold your surfboard even at a motorcycle speed of 80 mph.
While it is said to be designed for scooters, this motorcycle surfboard rack can be attached to big bikes too. You won’t have to worry about having enough clearance for the surfboard, even with a broad exhaust pipe. The rack itself is adjustable, so you can position it to not interfere with your bike’s pipes.
Carver Racks allows customized orders. You can arrange to have this model configure with thicker arms for more extensive and heavier surfboards. No matter how you customize it, it will still turn out as one of the best motorcycle surfboard racks for both cruisers and non-suspension bikes.
- Adjustable arms
- Sturdy construction
- Well-rubberized mounting plates
- Can withstand speeds of up to 50 mph
- Solid and heavy-duty
- Would have been more secure with nuts and bolts
- Complicated installation
- Bungees included are flimsy
5. Island Motorcycles Surfboard Racks– Best Customized Surfboard Rack
- Sturdy steel pipes construction
- Various color choices
- Highly customizable
Island Motorcycles was born out of a passion for bikes. Edy Wahono, a native of Central Java (a province in Indonesia), spent most of his childhood tinkering with bikes. Since then, he’s been active in building bikes and customizing them according to the clients’ needs.
Since the headquarters is located in Bali, it is no surprise that the motorcycles he customizes conform to something needed on the beach – a motorcycle surfboard rack! Thus the birth of his customizable surfboard racks.
Island Motorcycles Surfboard Racks are well-engineered with sturdy steel pipe construction. Their racks have rubber fam tubing and pads, and all are wrapped in layers of nylon for added flair and durability. All are also hand-stitched and with waxed thread.
Island Motorcycles takes pride in making the client be part of the manufacturing process. After all, the main goal is to satisfy the customer’s needs. The team caters to customers from all over the world but with an extra premium for handling and shipping.
- Made to order and customized
- Rubber padded tubes
- Extra layer of nylon for added protection
- Various color choices to choose from
- Hand made and wax-threaded
- Has to be ordered overseas
Our Top Pick
Ho Stevie! felt every surfer’s dilemma of driving into the break and not finding a good parking spot. Thus, the birth of his line of bike and motorcycle surfboard racks. Now, you never have to worry about that (and traffic) with his creations.
Ho Stevie! Scooter/Moped Surfboard Rack, our top pick, is easy to find and has all the features any surfer who wants to combine surfing with moto-experience will love. The high ratings it received from customers who experienced it confirms just how good a motorcycle surfboard rack this one is.
What Makes A Good Motorcycle Surfboard Rack?
Generally, a good motorcycle surfboard rack accomplishes what it is supposed to do – hold the surfboard while cruising on a motorcycle. It has to keep your surfboard safe and secure during transit while kept safe from dents, scratches, and falling, too!
It should be easy to install and should not have any significant impact on your riding experience. It would be best if you steered away from a motorcycle surfboard rack that affects your mobility and visibility.
Overall, it should match what you need and the budget you have.
Installing a Motorcycle Surfboard Rack
Every surfboard rack is different, and so is the motorcycle it will be attached to. This leaves us no golden set of rules to install them. Even so, most of them are relatively similar and easy to set up and launch. But here’s an idea based on how to install Ho Stevie! Scooter/Moped Surfboard Rack.
- Put the lower carrier arms into the upper arms by pressing down the spring lock and sliding them in
- Fasten the mount to the bike’s cargo rack. The top plate should go on top of the frame and the bottom plate under the rack. Tighten up with the two included bolts
- Place arms into the mount. Locate the desired position, then tighten the bolts
- Secure your surfboard by strapping them down with the bungee cords
Be sure to test ride your motorcycle to make sure all components are safe and secure. Also, the dynamics of your bike will change along with the added weight of the rack and the surfboard.
Motorcycle Surfboard Racks Buying Factors
There are just a few things you need to consider when deciding on the best motorcycle surfboard rack.
There are three types of motorcycle surfboard racks:
- Side mount – the most popular design. They are either single or double attached. Pretty easy to install on one side of the bike.
- Rear mount – gives an excellent central balance. It is what you should pick if you are challenged with counter-balancing side mounts.
- Trailer mount – are wheeled racks that are usually attached to the back of the motorcycle like an RV. They are the best pick if yours are large-sized surfboards or SUPs.
Size of Surfboard
Your surfboard size is a significant factor, mainly that some racks may only work with specific sizes of surfboards.
- Shortboards are small and may work with side, rear, and trailer types.
- Longboards can be side mounted or trail mounted.
- SUPs may be very large and may work with specialized side mounts. The best they should be transported with are trailer types.
Motorcycle surfboard racks are one of the most convenient and straightforward ways to transport your surfboard to your break. This is even more true if you live locally and are not too far away from the waters.
As with most gears, motorcycle surfboard racks have their advantages and disadvantages. Despite that, let’s appreciate that it is there, and it helps us with our transporting needs. Hopefully, the five motorcycle surfboard racks we reviewed give you an idea of what to look for to assist with your needs.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: Can a bicycle surfboard rack work on a motorcycle?
A: Some bike surf racks can fit on small motorcycles or scooters. However, since these racks are designed considering the bicycle’s dynamics, they may not appropriately work with motorcycles.